Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

with a dollar in my hand

Today I went curtain shopping with my mother. Then, suddenly, I got extremely bored...hmm I wonder why?..and abandoned the quest to find the perfect duck egg blue fabric and headed off in my own direction. I knew perfectly well though where I was going - a browse around Cork's sudden expanded vintage scene...well I say expanded loosely, we're talking two new shops here and a new outlet for Cork's former lone ranger on the vintage front. Unfortunately, because of time constraints I could only make it to two of the three...the third shop, in the English Market, the name fails me now, looks actually really good, and makes me think that I most do a proper post in the future about shopping in the city...ahem town...of Cork, jam packed with photographs and all!
Instead, I checked out Positively Vintage (formally Positively Eighth Street...I think anyway, in the English Market..) on Castle Street. Here I tried on a few longish skirts of The Difficult Length ie. hanging just below the knee. Among a lovely peaches and cream slip and a pattered skirt with a gorgeous embroidered cream hem, I found a cheapie lilac skirt with frill details (cheapie being the operative word there..). Lilac as I posted about recently is my crush shade of the mo' and I like it as it's kind of  Marie Antoinette - ish ( well maybe, I'm being a bit generous there, but still..). It is of the  awkward length but hell it's a pretty pretty colour and ladylike and Sunday best style attire, and not bad at €5, no?

My second port of call ( in between a quick glance around the vintage section in Fellini's, Carey's Lane...they have vintage jewels..I die!), I decided to check out the new vintage shop Retrograde (I think it's called..once again, I think a proper post is required to actually clarify these details..EDIT: Mercury goes Retrograde, is the full title, I have since discovered). Apparently, Retrograde has been up and running with two and half months (!!) yet, somehow yours truly only found out via a friend of its existence. I was kind of doubting it's existence, when suddenly, there it was, neatly tucked behind Easons in all its vintage - y goodness. Now, I have to say I was well impressed. It might not have the oldie - pokey- vintage suitcase - y- ness of Positively Vintage, but the stock appears to a be bit more party - ish as opposed to the latter's focus on daywear, and the lady who owns it is really lovely. I spied the MOST amazing jacket...like literally die and go to heaven sorta stuff! I have odd taste, I mean it's impossible to pinpoint what I like most of the time..but feck, this should have had 'Kat' emblazoned on the back! I am still reeling from trying it on, it was a perfect fit after all, but alas, out of my price range..but you know, someone's birthday is coming up.. Anyway, to make up for it I bought this simply ridiculous lilac hat with net front (€11.50). I have wanted one of these style hats since sometime in 2007 ( I actually blogged about them waaaay back when) and it makes me feel like a 1940s' lady all demure with my veiled headwear. And together with the skirt it's just the kind of thing I would fawn over seeing some little old elegant lady wearing.


skirt, hat - vintage, tights - Penneys, stripey top - New Look, shoes, jacket, dress - Topshop, bag - my mother's.
Oh and eh...check out the beloved (albeit, mildy comical..) Cateye sunglasses, that I mentioned in the previous post!

13 comments:

gracie takes fashion so seriously it can turn ugly said...

hey . . . ! im from cork too . that place on castle street is a loada shite no ? "vintage " like .

Kat said...

ah cool! always glad to hear of other Cork bloggers! ah well Positively can have some good stuff..but yeah, it's definitely hit and miss..

Emma said...

That second out fit is so cute. Love the bag where did you buy?

Kat said...

thank you Emma! and the bag was once my mother's.

Emma said...

Oh my mother is great for things like too! The benefits of someone who never throws anything out! :)

Eva said...

Aw love that hat!! I'm thinking we're going to have to hit Cork when I'm home and you must give me the tour of the new places! :) xox

EnVogue said...

Love the last image, lilac on pink, very romantic :)

Taryn said...

wow! very interesting style you have. I really love the veil hat.

rhonabethginny said...

that last outfit is stunning... super cute and a tiny bit mad (i love it!)... i am heading down to cork next weekend... will be searching for these shops... where are they exactly?????

Sean said...

I also like the hat :D


http://fashion-dose.blogspot.com/

Kat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat said...

@Rhona
Well Positively Vintage is on Castle street..near northmain street
Retrograde (Mercury goes Retrograde - the full title, i have since discovered) is on drawbridge street which is off patrick's street.
and the english market is also just off patrick street but to the opposite side
G'luck..looking forward to hear how shopping in Cork goes..be warned it's not the greatest of shopping destinations!

Dusica said...

heyy... love the outfits especially the purple skirt, and i love the way you put outfit no 1 and 2 together in the thirst pic =)